Rachel Dinkes, American Institutes for Research, Emily Forrest Cataldi, MPR Associates, Wendy Lin-Kelly, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Thomas D. Snyder, National Center for Education Statistics
December 2, 2007 NCJ 219553
Presents data on crime and safety at school from the perspectives of students, teachers, principals, and the general population. A joint effort by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and the National Center for Education Statistics, this annual report examines crime occurring in school as well as on the way to and from school. It also provides the most current detailed statistical information on the nature of crime in schools, school environments, and responses to violence and crime at school.
Information was gathered from an array of sources including:
- - National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) (1992-2005)
- School Crime Supplement to the National Crime Victimization Survey (1995, 1991, 2001, 2003, and 2005)
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, and 2005)
- School Survey on Crime and Safety (1999-2000, 2003-04, and 2005-06)
- School and Staffing Survey (1993-94, 1999-2000, and 2003-04)
- From July 1, 2005, through June 30, 2006, there were 35 school-associated violent deaths in elementary and secondary schools in the United States.
- In 2005-06, 78 percent of schools experienced one or more violent incidents of crime, 17 percent experienced one or more serious violent incidents, 46 percent experienced one or more thefts, and 68 percent experienced another type of crime.
- In 2005, approximately 6 percent of students ages 12-18 reported that they avoided school activities or one or more places in school because they thought someone might attack or harm them.
Part of the Indicators of School Crime and Safety Series
Full report (PDF 1.8M)
ASCII file (214K)
Spreadsheet (Zip format 178K)
To order paper version
Help for using BJS products
About the Source Data
National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)
To cite this product, use the following link:
View All Publications and Products