BJS: Bureau of Justice Statistics

clear image
Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Get notifications  |  Help  |  A-Z Topic List
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
clear image
Home  | Publication & Product Detail
Publication Felony Sentences in State Courts, 2004

Matthew R. Durose, Patrick A. Langan, Ph.D., Bureau of Justice Statistics

July 1, 2007    NCJ 215646

Presents statistics for adults who were convicted of a felony and sentenced in State courts. The data were collected through a survey of a nationally representative sample of State courts in 300 counties in 2004. The number and characteristics (age, sex, race) of offenders who were sentenced to prison, jail, or probation are reported for the 5 major offense categories. Trends from 1994 to 2004 highlight the number of adults convicted of felonies as well as the types of conviction offenses and sentence lengths imposed. See also: State Court Sentencing of Convicted Felons, 2004 - Statistical Tables.


  • Between 1994 and 2004, the number of felony convictions in State courts increased 24%.
  • 94% of felony convictions occurred in State courts, the remaining 6% in Federal courts.
  • 7 in 10 convicted felons in State courts were sentenced to incarceration.

Part of the Felony Sentences in State Courts Series

Full report (PDF 152K)
ASCII file (28K)
Spreadsheet (Zip format 22K)
To order paper version

Help for using BJS products

About the Source Data
National Judicial Reporting Program (NJRP)

To cite this product, use the following link:

View All Publications and Products

Back to Top