BJS: Bureau of Justice Statistics

clear image
Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Get notifications  |  Help  |  A-Z Topic List
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
clear image
Home  | Publication & Product Detail
Publication Contract Trials and Verdicts in Large Counties, 2001

Thomas H. Cohen, J.D., Ph.D., Bureau of Justice Statistics

February 1, 2005    NCJ 207388

Presents findings on contract cases disposed of by jury or bench trial in 2001 in the Nation's 75 largest counties. Information reported in numerical tables includes the types of cases, types of plaintiffs and defendants, trial winners, amount of damages awarded, and case processing time in contract trials. In addition, information on plaintiff and defendant post-verdict activity at the trial court and appellate levels is presented. This electronic only report contains a brief summary of the contract trial statistics.


  • Judges adjudicated 56% of contract cases, while juries decided the remaining 44%.
  • In 2001 the overall median damage award, which includes both compensatory and punitive damages, for plaintiff winners in contract trials was $45,000.
  • Punitive damages were awarded most frequently in contract trials involving fraud, employment discrimination, or partnership dispute claims.

Part of the Contract Trials and Verdicts in Large Counties Series

Full report (PDF 337K)
ASCII file (34K)
Spreadsheet (Zip format 60K)
Codebooks and Datasets

Help for using BJS products

About the Source Data
Civil Justice Survey of State Courts (CJSSC)

To cite this product, use the following link:

View All Publications and Products

Back to Top