Simone Robers, Jijun Zhang, American Institutes for Research, Jennifer L. Truman, Ph.D., Bureau of Justice Statistics, Thomas D. Snyder, National Center for Education Statistics
February 22, 2012 NCJ 236021
Presents data on crime and safety at school from the perspectives of students, teachers, and principals. A joint effort by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and the National Center for Education Statistics, this annual report examines crime occurring in school as well as on the way to and from school. It also provides the most current detailed statistical information on the nature of crime in schools and school environments; and responses to violence and crime at school.
Data are from several federally funded collections including:
- - National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) (1992-2010)
- School Crime Supplement to the National Crime Victimization Survey (1995, 1999, 2001-2009)
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009)
- School Survey on Crime and Safety (1999-2000, 2003-04, 2005-06, 2007-08 and 2009-2010)
- School and Staffing Survey (1993-94, 1999-2000, 2003-04, and 2007-08)
- Of the 33 student, staff, and nonstudent school-associated violent deaths occurring between July 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010, 25 were homicides, 5 were suicides, and 3 were legal interventions. From July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010, there were 17 homicides and 1 suicide of school-age youth (ages 5-18) at school.
- In 2010, students ages 12-18 were victims of about 828,000 nonfatal victimizations at school,including 470,000 thefts and 359,000 violent victimizations, 91,400 of which were serious violent victimizations.
- In 2009, about 31 percent of students in grades 9-12 reported they had been in a physical fight at least one time during the previous 12 months anywhere, and 11 percent said they had been in a fight on school property during the previous 12 months.
Part of the Indicators of School Crime and Safety Series
Full report (PDF 2.35M)
ASCII file (132K)
Spreadsheets (Zip format 337K)
Help for using BJS products
About the Source Data
National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)
To cite this product, use the following link:
View All Publications and Products