The GMS Online Training Tool provides complete instructions on how to search and apply for funding opportunities available from OJP. For technical assistance email the GMS Help Desk or call 888-549-9901 (option 3).
When applying for federal funding, applicants must provide the following information:
- Applicant information
- Type of applicant
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Organizational unit
- Legal jurisdiction name
- Contact person and phone number
- Project Information
- Title of project
- Areas affected by project
- Proposed project period of performance
- Estimated funding request
- Congressional district
- Budget Detail Worksheet and Budget Narrative (PDF 3.68MB). Justification for all costs, including the basis for computation and how budgeted items relate to project activities.
- Program Narrative. Full description of the expected design and implementation of the proposed program. Specific program funding announcements will provide guidance on information to be submitted.
- Human Subjects Protection Certification of Compliance (PDF 10K). Certification of compliance with federal regulation relating to research and statistical projects to ensure the protection of human subjects against undue and unnecessary risks.
- Privacy Certificate (PDF 138K) (Word 39K). Certification of compliance with federal regulation relating to the confidentiality of information identifiable to a private person collected for research or statistical purposes. Includes description of procedures to be followed to protect identifiable data.
- Assurances (PDF 105.7K). Applicants must comply with the assurances in order to receive federal funds. It is the responsibility of the recipient of federal funds to fully understand and comply with these requirements. Failure to comply may result in withholding of funds, termination of the award, or other sanctions.
- Certifications Regarding Lobbying; Debarment, Suspension, and Other Responsibility Matters; and Drug-Free Workplace Requirements (PDF 67.89K). Applicants must certify compliance with government-wide common rules relating to restrictions on lobbying, debarment and suspension, and maintenance of a drug-free workplace.
- Financial Management and System of Internal Controls Questionnaire (PDF 704K). Certification that award recipients and subrecipients (including recipients or subrecipients that are pass-through entities) will establish and maintain effective internal controls and will comply with federal statutes, regulations, and the terms and conditions of the federal award.
- Information System Security and Privacy Requirements. Applicants must comply with applicable federal statutes, regulations, and other authorities related to the privacy, security, confidentiality, integrity, and availability of computer systems, networks, and data.
Awardees receiving funds from BJS are required to report on the progress of grant activities. Questions about the progress reporting requirements should be directed to the BJS Program Manager. Awardees should email the GMS Help Desk for help with submitting a progress report or other technical assistance needs, or call 888-549-9901 (option 3). The following guidelines describe BJS’s progress reporting requirements and provide the preferred reporting template:
- Data Collection Awards (PDF 345K) (Word 45K)
- National Criminal History Improvement Program (NCHIP) and NICS Act Record Improvement Program (NARIP) Awards (PDF 259K) (Word 55K)
- State Justice Statistics Program for Statistical Analysis Centers (SJS‐SAC) Awards (PDF 282K) (Word 54K)
- Research Awards (PDF 358K) (Word 57K)
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.
Bureau of Justice Statistics