BJS: Bureau of Justice Statistics

Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Help  |  A-Z Topic List
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
Home  | FAQ Detail
FAQ Detail
How can I get something on my criminal record corrected or removed?

At the state level, criminal records are usually maintained by the state police or public safety agency.  You should contact this agency in your state concerning records they maintain and the procedures for correcting or challenging the accuracy of information the records contain.  At the federal level, criminal records are maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). An individual may request a copy of his or her own FBI Identification Record for personal review or to challenge information on the record. Other reasons an individual may request a copy of his or her own Identification Record may include international adoption or to satisfy a requirement to live or work in a foreign country (i.e., police certificate, letter of good conduct, criminal history background, etc.).  Instructions for requesting a copy of the record from the FBI are available at:

Back to Top